Monday, February 27, 2012

Thinking Cap: The Journey


Looking back at my 2 years of blogging, the only thing I can say to bloggers out there is that editing is more important than writing itself.

To entertain your reading buds I have come up with a special edition. This post is a tribute to ‘Thinking Cap (TC)’ as it matures and finishes 2 successful years. Nobody has a slightest of idea how it was born except for a few. So to celebrate the second anniversary of TC, I want to share the story of how I lost my virginity and got pregnant with writing and gave birth to Thinking Cap. Here it goes!!

During my graduation I was a poor chap in the English language. In an effort to improve I adopted an innovative method of exchanging ‘letters in English’ with my pal Keshav Jha; a dark guy from Jharkhand who was in the same boat as me. Our letters fantasised about career, girls, dreams, money, gossip, movies etc.
Opportunity struck while I was seduced by writing. One of our professors asked us to write for the college magazine, though he had the least of expectations from us. And it was my chance to debut, to emerge. I ended up penning down an article on Delhi Metro.

The article in the magazine along with my black & white passport-size photo was convincing enough that creativity gives me a high. And so began my journey to be creative, to be a writer. I started with hard-hitting editorials like She, Where Struggle Never Ends and Idle Hands. The inspiration behind was the cult newspaper, “The Indian Express”. Initially every article costed me a month as I was obsessed with vocabulary and a fine finishing. Above all I was slow. Keshav and his school friend Akanksha Jha read all the crap I wrote and were the pillars of my fragile confidence. In fact Akanksha always had the expectations in those days that I should write for a newspaper or a magazine. 

So how TC came into the picture? Well, the thought to start a blog was never there in my mind as I was highly hopeful that some magazine will publish my work someday. But destiny never leaves you. It was at one of the Delhi University’s bus stand when my tech-savvy friend Neeraj, sold the idea of blogging to me. I loved it because it was free. So on 8th Feb, 2010 over-night on e-blogger ‘Thinking Cap’ was born. A strange number 999, being lucky for me for donkey’s years became my URL.   

Year 2010 was when the world was super-excited about blogging. Every day we’d have thousands of new blogs popping up. So to make a place for Thinking Cap I exploited Facebook, the social sensation during those days. By constantly bugging people with the blog updates, tagging their names or messaging them I gathered the requisite crowd.  
The blog made its mark with “Suicide Note” which talked about a man’s fantasies to face death. It became the darling of the blog and introduced me to the world of sarcasm and humor. The achievement didn’t die there and was followed by another crazy piece called “Eaters Comma”. TC was admired for being true to heart. “Sons of the Soil”, a conversation between a Hindu and a Muslim at the JFK Airport broke all the records and established this blog as a real thinker.

Readers like Sukanya, Nidhi Bindal, Sabyasachi, Keshav, Neeraj, Ankit, Nidhi Khanna, Riddhi, Akanksha, Ankita Bali, Gurleen, Shyam, Ashna Banga were the frequent visitors. In fact Deepa Kashay of Bhopal became my friend after reading the blog whom I haven't even met. They are TC’s biggest admirers and critic. “Without you I am nothing”
My writing got better after a year and I published articles like Dream India, Different smells of my life, A complete Nonsense and The actor in the negative role etc. Every article was a take on the society and left a high impression. TC turned out to be a gold reserve when impressed with it I was offered to write for an amateur production house. The association went for a year. I wrote 3 episodes of a tele-series, 2 short films, and a reality show plot. Unfortunately, apart from the reality show nothing got executed but that phase gave a new direction to my career. I dropped the idea of MBA and decided to be in media.

Experimentation continued and I began writing film reviews. I wrote around ninety of them as I wanted to start a film review blog too; which could never happen though. But writing scripts gave me the confidence to make short-films and I made my first called “Silent Songs”.
Print outs of TC accompanied me in my interviews at SIMC (Pune), ACJ (Chennai), St Xavier’s, Bombay. When I got the admission in Xavier’s Bombay, life took a turn. I developed keen interest in writing poetry, shaayri and copy for ads. I even interned as a copywriter and intend to do this in future too. I also wrote another short film. Sadly, I could give no time to Thinking Cap where everything started.

Thinking cap has given me readers which I love the most. It has given me confidence to write, a hobby which was a passion and then an obsession and which will be my profession. Whatever I’ll do in my life it will be creative and will be related to writing. In a nutshell how can I not say “Thank You Thinking Cap; you have launched me”. 

Yours Truly
999


Photo Courtesy: Ambrish Patil, Dhavalya Kalem &Ankit Saxena. 


Feel Free to Comment!!!

24 comments:

Ashna said...

After a long time, but a truly 'straight-from-the-heart' post, which has brought forward things I personally never knew! It was really nice of you to mention your readers. I'm kind of inspired by your story and I hope you make it big and fulfill all your dreams. :)
Good luck!

Meghna shah said...

Excellently written Pankul !
Something straight from the heart is always very refreshing to read...write on! :P

Nandita Bajpai said...

I could see the heart talking and not just the pen. It was a great article, Pankul!
Now I know where my friend got the aspirational writer in him from.
Keep up the good work and I am looking forward to more such honest piece of work!
Cheers

Pankul said...

@ashna banga: I was looking forward to your comment. It feels so good when you inspire people with your writing. Thanks for those words. Keep reading. I wish you luck too for your blog.

@meghna: yes yes, its refreshing. And so kind of you to read it on the spur of the moment. Thank u.

Pankul said...

@nandita: first of all thanks for help me in editing and reading it before any one. I surely got the insight from yr feedback. And yes I will surely continue to entertain u. :))
cheers
beer

Unknown said...

Good effort Pankul. Keep writing, keep striving, keep working at it and someday you'll be a writer of some standing. And never stop dreaming!

CT said...

OMG Pankul! There are two things I greatly admired here: first, your ability to critique yourself so well, as if you are reviewing some famous personality. Throughout the post, I felt I am reading an article celebrating some great personality. Hehehe...and second, the innocence, simplicity and honesty with which you have written it. I don't know how a person who doesn't know you, is going to react at this attempt of yours, but thankfully knowing you, this is a most heart-felt appreciation of the self that I have never read and enjoyed before. It makes you so much more adorable. I commend the manner in which you have appreciated yourself. I am deeply in awe of your self-confidence and it is a huge inspiration for me. You are the only person I've met till now who's self-appreciation has inspired me to think positively of myself as well. You are truly a fabulous example. And let me admit, I got the motivation to pay attention to my blog after reading yours and seeing the kind of dedication you have towards yours. Thank you so much Pankul! I wish you great success in life and the best that life has to offer to you!! God bless!!! :)

Pankul said...

@ Charishma (Cherry), I just saw the comment. And I read it twice-thrice. I am stunned and grateful for that true reply. People don't read my blog that carefully. What can I say when people like you so well versed in the language give so much attention to people like us who are still trying to improve. Yes I was celebrating myself and you caught it, bang-on. For the next many years yr this comment will be there in my memory forever. Lastly I can say that I truly admire the humility you have shown towards me. I am your true fan now. Thank you. Keep reading!!!! :)

Sumi Mathai said...

You know what, you are so shamelessly honest. and that is a laudable trait i would say. you have the vigour to write, an almost self-consuming passion - hi-five for that. coz if u have it in you u have to write it out. theres no other way about it. so write write and write. its cathartic when you cant turn to anything else to redeem yourself. goodluck!

scaramouche said...

@Pankul: Terrific post! :) But it sounds like you are bidding farewell to TC. What's with that? :|

This post is like a dose of feel good! Honest, candid and straight from the heart. Keep it up.

Sukanya said...

love with what you see at first sight is not enough for the relationship to last, worse still even exist at times...

Presentation without content will fall apart in the end... therefore, editing Mr writer can never be more important than writing itself...

M glad fro ur growth... n i hope ur child blossoms... Goodluck :)

Anonymous said...

Panks!! Awesomework! Loved it! The sincerity with which you write amazes me every single time. The passion reflects in your writing. Never let this passion take a backseat in your life. Good luck for some more brilliant work :)

- Nidhi Bungale

Pankul said...

@patricia Ma'am: that was yr first comment on the blog., It is welcome. Yes, I will keep writing and will keep improving.

@nidhi bungale: thanks nidhi for the appreciation. This passion will never die.

@Sumi: I was surprise to see yr remarks. Well thanks for getting into the details.

@scaramouche: thanks fr reading and appreciating. But no it was not like a farewell speech. The blog will continue writing as it don't want to stop.

@anonymous: Saying editing is more important than writing has its more relevance. Like an idea is the fulcrum of anything. Same with writing. It is that protagonist that takes any article to its height. But when you edit yr writing you realize that how much better you can make it. It has the soul but it lacks the edge, so lets tune it a more. And that is done by editing. I have always spent more time editing my pieces than writing them. And that is the main reason my articles were atleast decent. So that was said in that reference.

Anonymous said...

ok.. first of all huge congratulations on completing two years... secondly thank u so much for the mention...hehehe... hats off to ur determination.. dedication... perseverance.. creativity.. and the never ending thirst for learning... keep it up... keep writing.. keep shining mate!!... u make us proud.. im always dre as ur supporter and critic [;)] haha.. god bless !!

Gurleen Kanwal

Anonymous said...

it was abt time....d gusto wid wich u've emptied ur heart is amazing.......keep u d gud work.....

Cheers!!
Nidhi Khanna

Anonymous said...

After "she" today i read ur blog.. M so proud of panky.. Everytime i talk to u i get inspired by u 4 something n dis time after reading it even i feel like writing although il b not good as u r bt still... Really proud of u...

Sonam Chabra

Eeshan said...

I really appreciate this article. Its good to understand the other side of you Pankul. You are a fantastic guy and i wish you the best for your journey ahead.Keep compiling your experiences like this
Something what i learned from my experience: "in this journey, Everything is tough before it gets easy" . Just thought of sharing it with you :)

Warm Regards
Eeshan

ambarish said...

awesome pankul......finally i read it........i need not give my accolades here i would prefer to do that in person......very nice keep it up.......

Unknown said...

aankh bhar aayi meri to!!! :P mast hai yar.. i completely agree dat u bugged us wid constant reminders to read ur blog... bt good marketin alwaz sells.. :P kep bugging us.. v wl get our retrn sumtym.. :)

Ankit Saxena said...

My apologies to read the article late but this is the earliest i got free.As per the article, i guess was more of a flashback for me as i've known these facts beforehand.

And how can i not mentioned that you and TC was the motivation behind me writing my blog.

Good Going.

Pankul said...

@Gurleen: U have always liked whatever crap I have wrote, Thaks.
@khanna: u r a smart ass in the language i know. U have always motivated me to learn it.
@sonam: its a sure surprise that u took out time to read it. thanks
@nidhi bindaal: yr dramatic comment brought a smile on my face. yes it will surely pay u one day.

@eeshan: this is yr first comment on the blog. loved what u write. even u r a geat dude i know. thanks for reading man!!
@ambrish: u r happy after reading it is surely a high for me. Thanks
@ankit saxena: yes yes yes, u know everything happened in the last 2 years. And how can i forget that i was the motivation behind yr own blog. thanks for those words dude.

Anonymous said...

Now Pankul, your blog and passion for writing is inspiring me to start the buzz (keeda) of blogging...As you once advised me when I joined NIBM, to take banking and finance on blog, "with a difference"...
Now after finishing two years I have pondered on that and soon will be out with my version...Keep writing and keep inspiring...\m/

Neeraj

Anonymous said...

Its not a article its beyond that is your realization of dreams Cheers! :D

Aksaysah

Pankul said...

@shah: glad u read it and commented. Cheers Mate.